Hungary: PhD Certificate Program in Network Science at Central European University
Central European University (CEU) is an English-language, graduate university located in Budapest, Hungary. An international university with students from some 100 countries and faculty from more than 40, CEU offers small, seminar-style courses and a student/faculty ratio of 8:1. CEU is accredited in the United States and Hungary.
The PhD Certificate Program in Network Science at CEU brings together renowned scientists working in the fascinating interdisciplinary field of networks. In collaboration with several CEU departments, the Center for Network Science currently hosts a PhD Certificate Program and is in the process of registering one of the world’s first PhD programs in this rising field.
This pioneering, interdisciplinary program provides tools to understand how complex networks are structured and how they function. Students learn the principles governing social, political, economic, and environmental networks. Working with some of the most prominent network scientists in the world, students can participate in research on the fundamental laws of network structure and dynamics. They also study the latest network modeling methods, using terabyte-sized files that capture anonymous data points from mobile phone calls between millions of individuals; financial transactions between banks and companies; energy delivery systems; memberships in the directorial boards of companies; and affiliations in political parties.
THE PROGRAM FOCUSES ON THE FOLLOWING PROBLEM AREAS:
- Mathematics and statistical physics of networks: graphs, graph limits, and processes on graphs
- Political science: business-political networks, social movements, social influences in voter behavior
- Economics: world system networks and development, network effects and externalities, financial networks, networked markets
- Environmental science: resilience in energy grids, food webs, and economic competition
Candidates with an interest in network science and its applications to mathematics, political science, economics, sociology, and environmental science can apply via the respective departments’ doctoral programs. Upon completion of the doctoral program, students will also receive a PhD certificate in network science.
SCHOLARSHIPS AND FELLOWSHIPS
CEU is committed to attracting talented students and scholars from around the world. The University provides a variety of scholarships and research grants for which applicants from any country are eligible to apply.
- CEU Doctoral Fellowships cover full tuition, health insurance, and a generous stipend for housing and living expenses. More than 90 percent of PhD students receive the full doctoral fellowship from CEU.
- Direct Student Loans and Canada Student Loans are available for eligible U.S. and Canadian students.
- External Scholarships and Financial Aid Programs administered through CEU include Erasmus Mundus scholarships, Erasmus research grants, and other private and public fellowships and scholarships.
Network scientists are employed in academia, government, and business. Applied network scientists work at Internet and social media companies, where they improve users’ online experience. They also serve as consultants developing business infrastructure and specialize in risk mitigation for major financial institutions.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: January 23, 2014
MORE INFORMATION: www.ceu.hu