Germany:2 Doctoral Thesis Research Positions (PhD Positions) Ilmenau University
2 Doctoral Thesis Research Positions (PhD Positions)
The appointment is given for 3 years at a time. Compensation is based on the provisions of the collective agreements in the public sector in the German Federal States (TV-L, TVÜ), rank will be commensurate with the applicant’s experience up to pay scale E 13, a 50% appointment is offered during the first year.
The successful candidate will be responsible for research in the field of mounting electronic components made of silicon and III / V semiconductors. The physical principle of positioning and electrical connection are based on novel surface tension-based self-assembly principles and transfer techniques.
The tasks involve:
• Independent scientific research work in the field of
(1) Self-organized assembly of semiconductor devices or
(2) transfer-based assembly of semiconductor devices
• Planning, implementation and evaluation of experimental work
• The design and implementation of the necessary physical setups and its transfer to a prototype machine and development of a process for industrial use.
• Proof of applicability which is initially specified by the third-party project.
In Project 1 research is in close collaboration with an industrial partner in the lighting industry (industries?), to develop a low-cost assembly process of LED components on large scale substrates.
Project 2 funded through the DFG involves research in the field of integration of components on stretchable substrates related to biomedical applications.
Setting requirements are a scientific university degree (Diploma / Masters) in chemistry, physics, materials science, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering or comparable. Experience in the following areas is desirable: semiconductor technology, manufacturing of microsystems, heterogeneous integration, or directed self-assembly. The applicant is expected to exhibit a high degree of experimental skill, experience in design of prototypes and mechanical constructions. Applicants should point out those qualifications in the application.
As an applicant it is important that you show that you are qualified to work in this area and that you are truly interested and driven to advance the current knowledge in this field of research. To do this your application should provide answers to the following questions: 1. What is the research focus of the two different projects (look at the literatures)?
2. Are there others working on this internationally that you can find or know of?
3. What technological approaches and methods are used?
4. Do you have any background or experi-ence in these fields or why would you think you would be qualified to enter this research area and succeed and engaged in an independent doctoral thesis research?
Technische Universität Ilmenau has been awarded the Total E-Quality-predicate. It strongly urges women to apply. Disabled persons, having the same aptitude and professional qualifications, have priority in hiring.
Applications with the usual documents (letter of application, complete curriculum vitae, certificates, possibly references) should be sent by November 30th, 2013 under the reference number 79/2013 at:
firstname.lastname@example.org and also email@example.com
For more technical information please contact Prof. Heiko O. Jacobs (firstname.lastname@example.org, tel. +49 3677/69-3723).